CALL US NOW: 01234 26 30 30
For more information on Menorca, including fiesta dates, details of boat trips, equestrian shows, diving centres, local artwork and so on, please see our A to Z Guide to Menorca. Alternatively, e-mail email@example.com or call us on 01234 26 30 30.
Castell Sant Nicolau
Look out for this octagonal defence tower on the headland. With drawbridge, turrets and moat set on the rocks, this is used as an exhibition centre. It is most popular however, in the evenings, when people come to watch the sun set over Mallorca.
The Port is narrow and slender unlike the Port of Mahon, making it difficult for any large shipping to harbour here. This is why the British refused to moor their fleet here in case they became trapped by invaders. As in Mahon, the Port is surrounded by restaurants and cafes and the harbour is home to yachts and speedboats as well as local fishermen. Boat trips are also available from here for trips around the island.
Across from the Placa d'es Born are what is known as the 'Grand Palaces' - three aristocratic mansions of the Saura, Vivo and Salort families. Palau de Torre Saura was built in the 19th century. Above the large door is the family coat of arms and through the doors an inner courtyard - this house is not open to visitors but they are all worth a visit even from the outside to marvel at the architecture and style. Palau de Salort is open to the public May to October, Monday to Saturdays. Visitors can view the ballroom, kitchen and hallway with mirrors as well as viewing tapestries and family portraits. Palau Vivo is also closed to the public but the oriel windows, which are an early form of a 'bay window' found in gothic times can still be seen.
The former Capital of the island, Ciutadella was rebuilt in the 16th and 17th centuries after being destroyed by the Turkish army who also stole thousands of locals as slaves to be sold in Istanbul. Marcos Marti a Doctor went to Istanbul and with money from the Pope, bought the slaves back again and returned to Menorca, where they and the remaining population rebuilt Ciutadella.
Moli Des Comte
Opened to the public in the 1990's this windmill was first built in the 1770's for the Count of Torre Saura. Approximately 80 steps lead to the tower with spectacular views over the city.
The Bastio de Sa Font was built in the 17th century and is the remains of the fortifications of Ciutadella. In 1995 after having been used over the years as a gas factory and grain store, it re-opened as the city's museum. It is open to the public April to October Monday to Saturdays. The museum tells the history of Menorca with archaeological finds such as coins, spears and jewellery. The nearby square - the Pla de Sant Joan is famous for its equestrian displays held on the 24th June as part of the Festival of Sant Joan.
Placa D'es Born
The main town centre is pedestrianised and it is here at the heart of Ciutadella that stands the square of the Placa d'es Born. In the middle is the imposing obelisk commenorating those who fell at the Turkish invasion before Ciutadella was rebuilt. The square is the heart of the city and hosts markets on Fridays and Saturdays. Breathtaking harbour views can be seen from the Northern side of the square.
Santa Maria Cathedral
When the Turks invaded Menorca in 1558, this building was partially destroyed. In 1795 after being rebuilt the church was made a Cathedral by papal command and Ciutadella was given a Bishop. The cathedral is therefore a mix of styles - Neoclassical and Gothic. Inside the light cascades through the stained glass windows, shrouding the altar in a warm glow. The wall behind the altar has a painting of the 'Purification Of The Virgin' and the original door from the 14th century remains intact with coats of arms and strange creatures decorating the columns. The Cathedral is open daily to visitors.
A literary and artistic association founded in 1905. There is a library with documents on the island's history and a collection of maps, ceramics and landscape paintings.
Esglesia del Carme
Built between the 1720's - 1800's this is the largest church in Mahon. It was damaged in the Spanish Civil War and has been restored over the years. Next door to the church the Claustre del Carme, the cloisters of the old convent serve as home to the fruit and vegetable market. This is a good place for cured meats, cheeses and Menorquin specialities. Look upwards to see the cloisters beautiful arches and old gargoyles. The Hernandez Mora collection is also exhibited here - he was a local author and historian who collected books and art pieces. On his death, he left all his collection to the people of Mahon and it is on display in a small museum here.
In the early 18th century, the British built Fort Marlborough, named after the Duke of Marlborough, at the mouth of Mahon harbour on the cove of Sant Esteve. This Fort was built by digging deep into the rock. The underground tunnels were an ingenious way of having a whole garrison live at the Fort albeit underground. To invaders it appeared that the Fort was deserted. The Fort is now a museum, open 6 days a week (not Monday). Other points to note would be the Stuart Tower and the Sant Felipe Castle.
Fort San Felip
Near Es Castell, not much is left of this once impressive fortress built orignally following Turkish raids in the 16th century. The British fortified it in the 18th century by building a series of tunnels underground for soldiers to live unseen by prospective invaders. The fort is till used by the army today - visits are by permit only and can be arranged at the Military Museum in Es Castell.
Museu de Menorca
Easily the biggest Museum in Menorca. The highlights of the collection are prehistoric antiquities including old coins and pottery, together with some fine arts. Opens Tuesday to Saturday and Sunday for limited hours.
Placa de S'Esplanada
This is Mahon's main square lined with cafes. There is a children's play park with swings and on Saturdays there is a clothes market. The square livens up at night as people come out to eat and drink and socialise. This is also where the former British barracks is situated and it is still in use. Spanish guards can be seen outside the entrance.
Pont de Sant Roc
In the Placa Bastio stands Menorca's only remaining medieval gate - the Pont de Sant Roc. A former fortification made up of two turrets and and archway, this used to denote the town boundary up until the 18th century. Named after Saint Roch, who legend has it, saved the people of Mahon from an outbreak of the plague. A small sculpture of Saint Roch sits in an alcove above the gate.
Port of Mahon
This natural harbour is the jewel of Menorca. 5 .5km long and 0.5km wide. The British kept their naval fleet there until 1802. Nowadays the harbour is host to yachts and speedboats moored alongside the many restaurants, cafes and bars. Cruise ships, ferries and freighters have replaced the old war fleet and the Port of Mahon is one of the busiest in the world. The best way to explore is by boat - tourist boats leave Mahon and Es Castell on a regular basis for tours around the harbour and island. From the water, the backdrop of Mahon looms above, with 18th century houses teetering on the cliffs. British Admiral Collingwood, Nelson's second in command occupied one of the houses in between Mahon and Es Castell and across from the Port is Sant Antoni where it is reputed that Nelson himself stayed.
Points of interest would be the islands between Mahon and the entrance to the harbour - Illa del Rei known as King's Island or Bloody Island after the British built a hospital there; Illa Plana with the ruins of a former quarantine island and the Illa d'es Llazteret, which took over as the quarantine island in the 1900's as it was believed that its high walls would prevent infection spreading to Mahon.
Santa Maria Church
The church of Santa Maria was rebuilt in the 18th century in a defiant gesture to the British rulers. It dominates the Placa de la Constitucio in Mahon. Neoclassical in style, it has a single aisle with crossed dome and side chapels. Most visitors are interested in the massive organ, commissioned in 1809 by a Mahon merchant and built by the Swiss organ maker Johann Kyburz. During the summer months there are daily musical concerts.
The Town Hall
Also located in the Placa de la Constitucio, is the Town Hall. Built in 1613 but refurbished in 1788 and occupied by the first British governor, Richard Kane who donated an English clock in addition to portraits of King George 111 and Queen Charlotte. These portraits still hang in the entrance hall and there are portraits of other Spanish governors. Outside the main chambers are figurines wearing folk dress. Nearly 9 ft high, these figurines are carried through the streets during processions.
Menorca's highest peak 358 m approximately is crowned by a massive statue of Christ. Reached by driving or walking from Es Mercadal, the 17th century church is relatively plain but adorned with tapestries on the walls and an altar with the Virgin's statue. This is the Verge del Toro and mass is said here each Sunday. Nuns are still present and they run a small gift shop and cafeteria as a way of making some income. The statue of Christ at the top has his arms spread out to bless the Menorquins who died suring the Spanish wars.
Naveta des Tudons
One of the most famous prehistoric monuments in Menorca. This bronze age burial chamber was excavated in the 1950's and many corpses were found with their bronze jewellery intact. Situated on the main road close to Ciutadella there is a car park but the monument is one of the busiest tourist attractions and even inspires visitors from Mallorca. You are able to enter the Naveta albeit on hands and knees. It resembles an upside down boat and if you crawl inside you will see there are two levels to this burial chamber. It is believed the corpses were put on the first level and their bones moved later to the lower level.
S'Albufera des Grau
Salt water marshes and in the centre the only freshwater lake in Menorca.This area is now a protected nature reserve, home to migratory birds so popular with bird watchers. Species include ospreys and booted eagles, herons, cormorants and terns. It is also the home of a protected species of lizard.
Moli de Dalt
Founded by the French to provide housing for troops the village of Sant Lluis on the South East is a pretty, vibrant village. The church is named after Louis IX and the coat of arms of the French royal family adorn the exterior. As you enter Sant Lluis you are drawn to a blue and white windmill - Moli de Dalt. This old windmill has been turned into a folk museum with a collection of old farming tools. Opens daily May to October in the mornings.
Torre d'en Gaumes
This prehistoric settlement has several well preserved examples of Talaiots and Taula (stone tablets) - the site dates from 1400BC but has evidence of Roman habitation. Situated approximately 3km southwest of Alaior and near to the holiday resort of Son Bou.